Befores and Afters in the Dollhouse

I’ve been working pretty hard on my Beacon Hill, so I figured it was time to show off a little of what I’ve done so far. There’s still a long way to go, but the strides I’ve made make me pretty proud.

Without further ado…the befores and afters!

Third floor hall BEFORE
Third Floor Hall BEFORE
AFTER
Third Floor Hall AFTER

The “wallpaper” on the sides in the BEFORE shot was…wait for it…copy paper. Yikes!

The Master Bedroom BEFORE.
Master Bedroom AFTER

It looks so much brighter! And I didn’t totally botch the wallpaper.

Kitchen BEFORE
Kitchen AFTER. Paneling still needs to go up, but here’s a little preview of what it’ll look like with the new furniture!

That’s all for now. More to come! The next step once the floors are in will be wainscoting, trim, doors… Still a long way to go before the *official* move in.

Renewal: Dollhouse Edition

When I was 12, I went shopping with my parents. We passed an unfinished furniture store, and a gorgeous dollhouse caught my eye. I decided I HAD to have it. So, I saved every bit of money I could, then bought it for myself.

It sat in a box until I turned 18. My boyfriend at the time helped me put it together. Not the greatest, but I loved it. It was mine. I ended up marrying someone else, and my dollhouse sat in a place of honor for several years and two moves.

My husband’s work brought us to a new state, and there was no place for my dollhouse. It sat in a crate in the garage for eight years, until we converted a small, extra garage/storage area into an office/craft room. My Beacon Hill finally was HOME.

It doesn’t seem like it in the picture above, but it looked rough from the years of neglect (not to mention a bad paint job). I cleaned it up and sanded it to give myself a smooth surface. Then, I primed everything but the porches, the base, the shingles, and the chimney.

Priming starts!

It took a couple coats to get the blue covered. OH! I also took the sandpaper (yes, SANDPAPER) off the tops of the bay windows and primed those, too.

I wanted to stay close to the original color, but tone it down a little. I found a beautiful blue that fit perfectly. I even painted the shutters black. Now, it POPPED.

There were just two more things I wanted to do to make the house look the way I wanted: wood for the porch, and copper for the windows.

Real wood dollhouse flooring from Jeepers Miniatures.
Yes, that’s real copper sheeting, specifically for crafting. A PAIN to install, but it’s gorgeous!

And here it is! Ugh. It’s so pretty. I’m THRILLED by the progress. I have to add copper to the rounded windows, and touch up paint in a couple of places (and remove paint from the windows), but the exterior is done! Next up: the ::gulp:: interior. That’s going to be a little harder. Carpet and wallpaper to remove. Rewiring (probably). Plus all the sanding, painting, and redecorating.

Thanks for reading!